Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Tenants’ Rights Staff Attorney
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino families and individuals by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants.
Centro Legal’s Tenants’ Rights Program (aka Housing Program) is focused on serving the needs of our most vulnerable community members who are most at risk of displacement in the midst of the current Housing Crisis. We do this through the provision of limited scope consultations (advice and counsel, assistance with pleadings, discovery, etc.) and legal representation on issues ranging from unlawful rent increases to unlawful evictions. We seek a community lawyer to join the fight to curtail the ongoing displacement of tenants from Oakland and Hayward, where Latino communities in particular are at high-risk of displacement.
The Position: The scope of duties will include:
1. Providing pro per assistance to tenants in the preparation of unlawful detainer pleadings and motions,
small claims cases relating to landlord/tenant issues, and administrative rent board hearings.
2. Representing tenants in unlawful detainer proceedings (e.g. hearings, court-mandated mediations, and
3. Providing and/or supervising consultations at various weekly Tenants’ Rights clinics.
4. Conducting Know Your Rights trainings.
5. Providing policy analysis to community partners who are advocating for anti-displacement measures.
6. Advocating for representation on behalf of the tenants during our weekly program case-rounds.
Qualifications: First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice and can (1) fight passionately for our clients, (2) empathize with our clients, (3) help our clients navigate complicated and stressful legal proceedings, and (4) manage stressful situations with empathy and calm. Below are additional qualifications.
1. California Bar membership.
2. Over five years litigation/housing law experience preferred, though recent graduates are encouraged to
3. Excellent written and oral advocacy skills.
4. Commitment to providing culturally sensitive support to low-income populations and persons of color.
5. Ability to attend evening meetings, clinics, and hearings with a flexible schedule.
6. Proficiency or fluency in Spanish (written and verbal).
7. Ability to explain complex legal issues to a diverse audience.
8. Ability to thrive in a high-volume, high-stress environment.
9. Desire to represent low-income tenants at trial.
10. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience. Plus medical, vision, dental, FSA, and 401(k) benefits. Generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filed. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only a (1) detailed cover letter describing desire to work with low-income, monolingual Spanish-speaking community, (2) resume and (3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place the words “Unlawful Detainer Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No calls please.
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED