Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Senior Staff Tenant Attorney
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino communities by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people.
Centro Legal’s Tenants’ Rights Program (aka Housing Program) is leading the fight to stop the displacement of low-income tenants across the East Bay. Working in coalition with partner agencies advocating for racial equity and housing security, Centro has been awarded several grants that allow for a significant expansion in our legal representation of low-income tenants across Alameda County and Richmond.
Centro Legal’s program is rooted in the holistic use of advocacy, popular education, unlawful detainer defense, and impact litigation. We provide three weekly walk-in clinics where tenants are provided advice, counsel, and referral to follow-up appointments, with the goal of preventing evictions. We also provide full-scope representation in rent board administrative hearings and unlawful detainers.
We seek an experienced lawyer who will join the fight to curtail the ongoing displacement of tenants from Oakland, South Alameda County, Hayward, and/or Richmond.
The Position: The scope of duties will include:
1. Representing tenants in unlawful detainer proceedings (e.g. law and motion proceedings, court-mandated settlement conferences, and jury trials).
2. Representing tenants in administrative proceedings (e.g. Oakland Rent Adjustment Program, Hayward Rent Stabilization Board, Richmond Rent Board, etc.).
3. Providing and/or supervising consultations at various weekly Tenants’ Rights clinics.
4. Conducting Know Your Rights trainings.
5. Providing policy analysis to community partners who are advocating for anti-displacement measures.
6. Representing Centro Legal de la Raza and its clients at community events, stakeholder meetings, City Council hearings, etc.
Qualifications: First and foremost, the applicants must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice and can (1) fight passionately for our clients, (2) empathize with our clients, (3) help our clients navigate complicated and stressful legal proceedings, and (4) work collaboratively with tenant organizers and other community based organizations. Below are additional qualifications.
1. California Bar membership. Minimum 4 years work experience in litigation or housing law
2. Excellent written and oral advocacy skills.
3. Commitment to providing culturally sensitive support to low-income populations and persons of color.
4. Ability to attend evening meetings, clinics, and hearings with a flexible schedule.
5. Proficiency or fluency in Spanish, Cantonese and Vietnamese highly preferred
6. Ability to explain complex legal issues to a diverse audience.
7. Ability to thrive in a high-volume, high-paced environment.
8. Desire to represent low-income tenants at trial.
9. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience plus medical, dental, FSA, and 401(k) benefits. Generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filed. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only a 1) a cover letter, 2) resume and 3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place the words “Tenants’ Rights Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No calls please.
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.