Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Human Resources Manager
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino families and individuals by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants.
The Position: Centro Legal seeks an experienced, knowledgeable, and compassionate Human Resources Manager who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, non-profit legal advocacy organization, while skillfully handling a range of responsibilities in a rapidly changing environment. The HR Manager reports to the Executive Director.
The HR Manager is responsible for overall management and direction of the organization’s human resource activities including employee recruitment, development, retention, employee relations, benefits, and maintenance of employee records. Centro Legal’s HR Manager plays a hands-on role to ensure all personnel policies and practices are administered correctly and that the organization is in compliance with legislated mandates.
Duties and Responsibilities: The scope of duties will include:
- Manage the organization’s recruitment and hiring program, including working with Program Directors and the Diversity Committee to develop and implement a hiring plan that fully utilizes and improves our recruiting system, ensure broad posting of open positions, developing interview questions, screening candidates and scheduling interviews, and drafting offer letters. Work with our Diversity Committee to coordinate attendance at public interest job fairs and recruiting events.
- Lead and improve the organization’s onboarding process to ensure each new staff member is welcomed and set up for success from the outset and able to integrate seamlessly into the organization, working closely with other members of the executive, operations, and finance teams.
- Develop, launch, and maintain organization’s Law Clerk and Legal Fellow programs, including the design of the program itself (recruitment, hiring, orientation, training, etc.). Liaise with various law schools to ensure compliance with law school requirements, and participate in the Bay Area Consortium on Externships (BACE).
- Liaise with outside employment counsel, Paychex HR Services Consultant, and the Board of Director’s HR committee.
- Lead the organization’s employee relations efforts, including responding to individual HR questions, issues, and requests from employees with an open door, including utilizing HR expertise to create an environment of confidence and accountability. Handle employee relations counseling and conducting investigations and research. Provide coaching to managers to ensure effective practices, strong employee relations, and legal compliance.
- Manage the employee performance evaluation process, including overseeing the development, drafting and dissemination of evaluation forms and ensure adherence to timelines.
- In partnership with Paychex HR Services, ensure effective HR systems are in place including employee status and benefits changes, ensuring accurate leave balances and benefits enrollments/deductions, assisting employees with timecard entry and trouble-shooting, producing regular reports, calling in payroll, etc.
- Effectively accomplish nuts and bolts HR tasks including HR data entry, maintaining personnel files, completing employment verification requests, maintaining and monitoring all workers’ compensation files, and other admin tasks as required.
- Administer benefits programs, including medical, dental and vision, 401(k), Flexible Spending Account plans. Process benefits for new staff members, answer staff question about benefits. Serve as the primary contact with various providers, workers’ compensation, unemployment and retirement plans.
- Develop and lead the process for transitioning staff to new roles or off-boarding from the organization that ensure an effective transition of responsibilities and capture lessons.
- Provide compliance support, including staying updated on compliance changes (e.g. laws, ordinances, policies, procedures); implementing internal policies, practices, and procedures consistently across the staff; and, updating, improving and maintaining documentation to ensure compliance with applicable laws and obligations.
- Special projects, research, and other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
About the successful candidate:
- Significant HR experience with increasing management responsibilities.
- 4 + years of HR specialist or generalist experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, social science, business or a related field.
- PHR/SPHR or similar certification preferred; JD appreciated.
- Hands-on, results-oriented problem solver with excellent time management skills.
- Ability to use critical thinking, research, and reasoning to develop creative solutions.
- Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively.
- Effective at building relationships with internal staff, external partners, and vendors.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Inquisitive, self-directed, and forward-thinking individual.
- Strong organizational, language, and communications skills.
- Positive attitude, with ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Culturally competent, with demonstrated leadership skills.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience plus medical, dental, vision, FSA and 401(k) benefits. Generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) detailed cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place the words “Manager of Human Resources” in the subject line. No calls please.
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGTBQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED