Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Immigration Legal Assistant
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino families and individuals by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people and promote access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
Centro Legal’s immigration practice includes comprehensive, full-service direct representation before USCIS and the immigration courts (EOIR), district court and federal court of appeals litigation, legal rights education, local and national advocacy. We specialize in detained and non-detained removal defense, the intersection of immigration and criminal law, affirmative asylum applications, and U visas for victims of violent crime.
The Position: The immigration legal assistant will provide direct support to our immigration team. Duties will include:
• Assist immigration attorneys in all aspects of immigration legal representation for qualified individuals;
• Respond to calls, emails, and letters as needed;
• Translate letters and other documents;
• File legal documents to various courts and government agencies in San Francisco;
• Write letters to companies, institutions, and government agencies to assist the client in obtaining police reports, court records, medical records, and school records;
• After training, the legal assistant may prepare various legal papers, such as pleading caption pages, list of exhibits, etc;
• Manage and coordinate databases, case files, attorneys’ correspondence files, etc; and
• Perform other special projects and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice. Below are additional qualifications.
• A Bachelor’s degree required;
• Fluency in Spanish required;
• Excellent word-processing and computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Must be well organized, efficient, highly motivated, able to handle multiple tasks at once, work well under pressure, and take initiative;
• Must have outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal skills, superb attention to detail, and excellent phone manner;
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team;
• Willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community.;
• Experience working with low-income, immigrant, and monolingual Spanish-speaking communities; and
• Strong commitment to serving low-income and underserved communities, with an ability to relate to and communicate with a broad range of clients and colleagues.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience, plus medical, dental, vision, FSA, and 401(k) benefits. Generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place these words in the subject line “Immigration Legal Assistant.”
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.