Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Tenants’ Rights Staff Attorney
Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) seeks a full-time community lawyer to work as part of its Tenants’ Rights Program, with a focus on eviction defense work. The lawyer will join the fight to curtail the ongoing displacement of tenants from Oakland and Hayward, where Latino communities in particular are facing a crisis of fraudulent evictions, predatory rent increases, and housing discrimination. The attorney will provide consultations, trial representation, and pro per assistance to tenants at risk of and/or facing eviction. Experience is greatly appreciated but more than anything we’re looking for someone who can relate to our clients (predominantly low-income Latino immigrants and other persons of color), will fiercely advocate for them, and who is excited about trial work.
Founded in 1969, is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income and Latino individuals and families by providing free and low-cost, bilingual, and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants, throughout the East Bay region of Northern California.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide pro per assistance to tenants in the preparation of unlawful detainer pleadings and motions, small claims cases relating to landlord/tenant issues, and administrative rent board hearings.
2. Represent tenants in unlawful detainer proceedings (including hearings, court-mandated mediations, and trial).
3. Provide consultations at various weekly/monthly Tenants’ Rights clinics that include advice and counsel, drafting letters, and supervising volunteers and law school interns (trial calendar permitting).
4. Conduct Know Your Rights trainings.
5. Provide policy analysis to community partners who are advocating for anti-displacement measures.
6. Advocate for representation on behalf of the tenants during our bi-weekly program case-rounds.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
1. California Bar membership.
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
3. Commitment to providing culturally sensitive support to low-income populations and persons of color.
4. Ability to attend evening meetings, clinics, and hearings with a flexible schedule.
5. Proficiency or fluency in Spanish (written and verbal).
6. Ability to thrive in a high volume environment.
7. Desire to represent low-income tenants at trial.
8. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please email a (1) cover letter, (2) writing sample (no more than 5 pages), and (3) resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place the words “Unlawful Detainer Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No calls please.
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.