**POSITION FILLED** Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Staff Attorney
Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) seeks a full-time clinic lawyer to work as part of its Tenants’ Rights Program to lead Centro Legal’s weekly clinics. The lawyer will work alongside attorneys to curtail the ongoing displacement of tenants from Oakland and Hayward, where Latino communities in particular are facing a crisis of fraudulent evictions, predatory rent increases, and housing discrimination. The attorney will provide consultations and pro per assistance to tenants at risk of and/or facing eviction. The ideal candidate will profoundly share in our mission and vision of social justice, be enthusiastic about behind-the-scenes pro per assistance enabling tenants to stand up for their rights, and aspire to be a leader in the anti-displacement movement as well as Centro Legal. Though primarily a clinics-focused position, applicants interested in representing clients at administrative rent-board hearings and/or facing eviction are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1969, is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income and Latino individuals and families by providing free and low-cost, bilingual, and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants, throughout the East Bay region of Northern California.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Lead the provision of consultations at various weekly Tenants’ Rights clinics that include advice and counsel, drafting letters, and supervising volunteers and law school interns.
2. Provide pro per assistance to tenants in the preparation of unlawful detainer pleadings and motions, small claims cases relating to landlord/tenant issues, and administrative rent board hearings.
3. Provide policy analysis to community partners who are advocating for anti-displacement measures.
4. Advance Centro Legal’s pro per assistance model through the creation of pro per materials, Know Your Rights presentations, and other initiatives identified by the attorney and Program Director.
5. Advocate for representation on behalf of the tenants during our bi-weekly program case-rounds.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
1. California Bar membership.
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
3. Commitment to providing culturally sensitive support to low-income populations and persons of color.
4. Ability to attend evening meetings, clinics, and hearings with a flexible schedule.
5. Proficiency or fluency in Spanish (written and verbal).
6. Ability to thrive in a high volume environment.
7. Desire to provide limited scope services and support tenants’ pro per efforts.
8. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please send (1) a cover letter and (2) a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place the words “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. No calls please.
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.