Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Immigration Senior Attorney with Immigration or Criminal Defense Background
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino families and individuals by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people and promote access to justice for thousands of individuals and families each year throughout Northern and Central California.
Centro Legal’s immigration practice includes comprehensive, full-service direct representation before USCIS and the immigration courts (EOIR), district court and federal court of appeals litigation, legal rights education, local and national advocacy. We specialize in detained and non-detained removal defense, the intersection of immigration and criminal law, affirmative asylum applications, and U visas for victims of violent crime.
The Position: Centro Legal is seeking an experienced attorney to assist in the provision of immigration legal services. Duties will include:
• Directly representing non-detained and detained individuals in removal proceedings before the San Francisco Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals;
• Preparing and submitting applications, legal briefs, and supporting documentation for cases involving asylum, withholding of removal, relief under the Convention Against Torture, U visa, VAWA, and adjustment of status with applicable waivers, refugee waivers, and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status;
• Visiting and conducing intake with detained individuals at Bay Area detention centers;
• Conducting Know-Your-Rights presentations to community members;
• Presenting to and working with law enforcement, prosecutorial offices, and community based organizations on changes in immigration law;
• Assisting in identifying potential federal litigation cases arising from direct services work and assisting in impact litigation efforts in federal district and circuit courts for placement with pro bono attorney or other non-profit litigation partners; and
• Assisting in determining appropriate case stories for use in reports, advocacy materials, and public education and providing expert testimony to media on current immigration law and policy topics.
Qualifications: First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice. Below are additional qualifications.
• J.D; admitted and in good standing with a State bar
• Fluency in Spanish required;
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in immigration law or criminal defense;
• Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills.
• A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties, immigrant justice, and public interest law.
• A record of moving legal cases forward and demonstrated ability to build and manage an extensive caseload;
• Strong leadership skills, preferably with experience managing other attorneys and staff;
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively on projects with lawyers, other staff members, and with diverse community organizations;
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity within the office and a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences regarding race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, socio-economic circumstance, immigration status, and record of arrest or conviction.
• Familiarity in working with clients in crisis or who are recent trauma survivors; and
• Willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience, plus medical, dental, vision, FSA, and 401(k) benefits. Generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references to email@example.com. Place these words in the subject line “Immigration Senior Attorney.”
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED