*POSITION FILLED* Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator
Title: Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA: Exempt, Full-time
Directly Leads: Volunteers and Interns
Budgetary Line Responsibility: This position is responsible for raising $300,000 in individual and major donor support.
Centro Legal de la Raza seeks a highly motivated Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator who is committed to advancing the rights of immigrant and low income people. The Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator will manage and implement the Centro Legal’s fund development efforts with individuals and major donors raised through campaigns and special events. This position will also work closely with Centro Legal’s Communications Associate to maintain the organization’s website and social media presence. This position collaborates closely with Centro Legal’s Executive Director and Board of Directors.
ABOUT CENTRO LEGAL DE LA RAZA
Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino families and individuals by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Further develop Centro Legal’s individual and major donor strategy
• Thoroughly understand the mission of Centro Legal and all of its programs, and serve as an enthusiastic, effective advocate of the organization in the community, and with donors.
• Develop and direct an annual individual/major donor fund development plan to meet organizational goals and further grow Centro’s base of support.
• Develop a revenue and expense budget for individual and major donors as well as a calendar of activities, based on organizational goals.
• Coordinate the work of the Development Committee and the Board’s giving activities, as well as collaborate with the Board on successful solicitation and stewardship of major donor efforts.
2. Manage major donor and grassroots individual donor strategies
• Plan, develop, and execute strategies to identify, cultivate, and steward individual donors to give to Centro Legal, with a particular focus on broadening relationships with major donors.
• Build donor cultivation program.
• Coordinate and facilitate cultivation efforts of Board, volunteers, staff, and Executive Director.
• Create and plan cultivation events, leveraging existing activities and other opportunities.
• Coordinate production and distribution of development mailings and communications (e.g. donor appeals, e-mailings, etc.).
• Prepare for and manage special major donor and grassroots gifts campaigns. To include the creation of an “Alumni-Campaign”, and a “Brick-Campaign”.
• Assist in the identification of potential members for Donor Campaign and Alumni Campaign committees.
• Manage the implementation of donor campaigns (both mail and online email blasts) and collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors regarding campaign logistics.
• Meet with major donors and major donor prospects as appropriate.
3. Organize special events
• Plan and lead Centro Legal’s annual signature event, including the management of all event logistics (i.e. securing location, vendors, and honorees), obtaining sponsorships, distributing event promotional materials, coordinating ticket sales and volunteers, and planning program agenda.
• Organize small fund raising related events to attract donor support and build community.
4. Oversee communications activities
• In conversation with the Executive Director and Communications Associate, create a plan to promote Centro Legal among its donor base through online/social media and community outreach communications strategies.
• Responsible for the production of online and hard copy public relations and promotional materials for prospects and donors (e.g. annual report and other materials)
• Work closely with outside designers in the creation of public and donor engagement materials.
• Manage the portion of the website dedicated to attracting donations by keeping it current and reflective of organizational priorities/strategic direction.
5. Operate Development infrastructure
• Ensure that the Development Department maintains high standards for systems and procedures, including donor acknowledgement, database management, budgeting and reporting.
• Oversee and perform ongoing data entry, record keeping, and maintenance of donor records through Salesforce.
• Supervise major gift processing and acknowledgments.
• Improve Salesforce donor database structure.
• Collaborate with bookkeeper on reconciliation, audit, and reporting requirements.
6. Supervise fund development volunteers and interns
• Supervise volunteers involved in fund raising efforts by providing weekly supervision to ensure that projects are completed and goals are met.
• Facilitate meetings and conduct fund raising and communications trainings of volunteers as needed.
7. Other Duties
• Perform and complete any other projects as assigned by Executive Director including other organizational events, strategic planning sessions, Board meetings, etc.
Centro Legal values a mix of skills, including formal education and work experience. First and foremost, however, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice. Below are additional qualifications:
• B.A. or B.S. degree required; J.D. or Master’s degree appreciated
• At least 3 years in a comparably sized organization working as a full-time, fund development professional in the nonprofit sector, managing a similar scope of work, and raising significant support from a diverse base of individuals and major donors.
• Three or more year track-record in building relationships with individual donor sources.
• Three or more year experience in organizing sustainable special events.
• Excellent judgment and initiative. Strategic thinking skills.
• Proven performance in planning and executing major donor and grassroots individual donor campaigns with multiple priorities.
• Attention to detail.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Ability to write clearly and persuasively about Centro Legal to varied audiences.
• Strong editing skills.
• Proven social media skills that support fund development goals.
• Superior organizational and planning skills.
• Able to develop event/campaign budgets and provide financial analysis.
• Experience supervising volunteers.
• Ability to facilitate meetings and conduct fund raising trainings.
• Leadership ability, dependable, collaborative approach, and commitment/adherence to ethical fundraising practices.
• Ability to work independently and meet multiple deadlines on an ongoing basis. Prior experience working in a multicultural setting.
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Computer Literacy: Extensive experience with social media. Tech savvy required, including successful use of MS Word, MS Excel, Photoshop, and Salesforce. Strong familiarity with WordPress and email contact applications.
Mathematical Skills: College level math. Ability to develop accurate and event/campaign budgets and fund raising reports.
Reasoning Ability: This position requires the ability to exercise good judgment and make strategic decisions that will positively impact Centro Legal’s fund development efforts and overall growth.
Licenses and Certificates: Fund raising training certification appreciated (e.g. online fund raising, fund raising with Board of Directors, grassroots fund raising, major donor gifts, etc.)
Physical Requirements: This position requires the ability to work flexible hours and under stress while handling multiple projects and tight deadlines.
Work Environment: Fast paced work environment with multiple demands presented at all times. The Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator must be focused on Centro Legal’s strategic and fund raising goals at all times and ensure steady progress towards these milestones. The individual holding this position must be willing to develop special events, individual and major donor campaigns in a team approach.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with background and experience in addition to medical, dental, FSA, and 401(k) benefits and a generous vacation and holiday package.
THE HIRING PROCESS
To apply please submit the following materials ASAP to email@example.com:
• Cover letter
• List of three professional references (at least two of these should be from former supervisors of your work)
• Place these words on your email’s subject line: Donor Relations and Communications Coordinator.