*POSITION FILLED* Centro Legal de la Raza Seeks Attorney for Representation of Children and Families on the Expedited Removal Docket
The Organization: Founded in 1969 and located in Oakland, California, Centro Legal de la Raza (Centro Legal) is a comprehensive legal services agency focused on strengthening low-income, immigrant, and Latino individuals and families by providing bilingual and culturally competent legal representation, education, and advocacy. The mission of Centro Legal is to protect and expand the rights of low-income people, particularly monolingual Spanish-speaking immigrants.
Centro Legal’s immigration practice is focused on serving the needs of our most vulnerable community members, including families living in poverty, women, children, and victims of violent crimes including domestic violence and detained individuals in removal proceedings. We offer comprehensive, full-service direct representation to our clients, and we also provide legal rights education and client intake through our various immigration clinics. We specialize in detained and non-detained removal defense, affirmative asylum applications, family-based visa petitions, U visas for victims of violent crime, and naturalization.
The Position: Centro Legal is seeking an experienced immigration attorney to assist in the provision of legal services to unaccompanied minors and families in expedited removal proceedings. Duties will include:
- Directly representing individuals in removal proceedings before the San Francisco Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals San Francisco Asylum Office and in state court as needed for orders relating to Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS);
- Preparing and submitting applications, legal briefs, and supporting documentation for cases involving asylum, withholding of removal, relief under the Convention Against Torture, U visa, VAWA, and adjustment of status with applicable waivers, refugee waivers, and SIJS.
- Conducting Know-Your-Rights presentations to individuals in immigration court and conducting intakes with children and families scheduled for court that day;
- Presenting to and working with law enforcement, prosecutorial offices, and community based organizations on changes in immigration law;
- Assisting in identifying potential federal litigation cases arising from direct services work and assisting in impact litigation efforts in federal district and circuit courts for placement with pro bono attorney or other non-profit litigation partners; and
- Assisting in determining appropriate case stories for use in reports, advocacy materials, and public education and providing expert testimony to media on current immigration law and policy topics.
Qualifications: First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share Centro Legal’s mission and vision of social justice. Below are additional qualifications.
- Law degree; admitted and in good standing with the California State Bar;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- At least three years of experience providing legal representation to non-citizens before the Executive Office of Immigration Review and Citizenship & Immigration Services;
- Capability to train and supervise interns and volunteers;
- Familiarity in working with children and families in crisis or who are recent trauma survivors;
- Willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community; and
- Experience working with low-income, immigrant, and monolingual Spanish-speaking communities.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary commensurate with background and experience plus medical and dental benefits and a generous vacation and holiday package.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Submit via email only: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place these words in the subject line “Expedited Docket Attorney.”
Centro Legal de la Raza is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. Centro Legal de la Raza is an affirmative action employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ, older persons, persons with disabilities and all qualified persons to apply.